Science fairs provide a vehicle by which talented science, mathematics and engineering students can be recognized for their achievements just as athletes are recognized in sporting events. When students do original research, they better understand the nature of science. They get to network with other students who share their interest. As a result of this experience, many of these students go on to pursue STEM careers.
The 2023 GCRSEF is the 33rd year that Rensselaer is hosting and sponsoring the Greater Capital Region Science and Engineering Fair, an affiliate of the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and the STANYS Science Congress. STANYS State Science Congress is sponsored by the Science Teachers Association of New York State (STANYS). Top projects from the Senior Division (grades 9–12) will be chosen to compete in the ISEF and the STANYS State Science Congress. Top projects from the Junior Division (grades 6-8) will be chosen to compete in the STANYS State Science Congress and the Thermo Fischer Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge (JIC).
- GCRSEF: March 18, 2023
- Teacher (Adult Sponsor) Registration MUST occur before students can register. Teachers register here.
- Online Student Registration
- Opens January 1st, 2023
- Deadline: January 24th, 2023
- Media File Uploads: March, 2023 (Exact Dates TBD)
- STANYS State Science Congress: Sunday, June 11, 2023
- ISEF Finals: May 13-19, 2023
- Thermo Fischer Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge application window: 2023 Dates TBD